However, she also likes to mix things up in a good way, from time to time. I was convinced she wouldn't be sleeping through the night by the time she's a month old (as her brother did) since she's had this habit of waking up EVERY THREE HOURS (good times for Mommy!) Last night, though, she slept from 12 a.m. 'til 5:23! I knew she had slept longer than usual when I heard her fussing and woke up--there are differing levels of tiredness that you feel, and surprisingly, I wasn't exhausted as I usually am. Hence the exact time of her arousal... I just HAD to know how long I had slept. And while she had slept for almost 5.5 hours, I had only slept a little over four, but usually it's more like 2-3 at the most. So I felt pretty good!
Of course, she followed no such schedule afterwards. In fact, today was the most frustrating day, sleep wise, as we've had since she's been home. All throughout the day, she'd eat, sleep an hour, eat again, sleep again, eat s'more, sleep a little, etc, etc. Just when I thought she would be out for the count, along with Jeremiah, and I could get my own nap, she woke up after an hour yet again. I cried. I cried, and cried, and cried. Was it really too much to ask for a nap?! Apparently, yes.
It's not like it was just her, though--Jeremiah was also up. Apparently he fell asleep while in the van with Daddy (going to Blockbuster, even though they were only supposed to go to the post office to get me stamps... Blockbuster is a much longer trip, and taking said trip so close to nap time spells disaster...) And when Jeremiah falls asleep in the van, that means no nap is had when he gets home. Grrr...
Yeah, so today was a pretty lousy day, sleep wise. Jeremy finally emerged from the "man cave" (which is why he didn't hear either of them crying...) to take over so I could try to get a nap, and wouldn't you know it---Jesslyn took an almost 4 hour nap for him! ARRRRRGH!
I'm pretty sure this is payback for the whole NICU experience... That's all I can figure out, at least. I could be wrong. I hope, though, that tonight is like last night, at least... That would be sweet. Maybe... just maybe!!!!



Oh boy. I could say it but, I won't. =)!
ReplyDeleteHere's hoping she settles into some kind of shedule but, she sounds a lot like Jakob when he was a babe so don't count on it. Might have curve balls for a long time coming. All I know is Jake didn't settle until Kindergarten really---that's when he seemed to come round full circle(not to say he was some wild child up until then but, it took lots of work and patience on my part). Guess it was the luck of time and age and lots of structure at home and school combined(No idea, kids are just challenging sometimes and it's nothing you even do and most doctors feed you garbage about why they do it so I just go with my instincts and guts most the time.). I am just glad he finally did.
Any ways, just my thoughts tossed in there so you know you're not alone. I went through it and I am sure other Moms do as well. Some children are easy, some aren't. Eventually, they all come around..in the meantime you have to find your sanity and hold onto it tight. =)