So we did.
I got him a one gallon bowl (it even came with directions!) and a little itty bitty goldfish for $.12 (just for the fish, the bowl was a little more...) Jeremiah was very excited to have his fish, and held the bag all the way home!
Unfortunately, nothing trumps the garage and what's in the garage... I thought I'd be able to get him into the house, easily, so we could set up his new fishy's home, but he pitched a fit and I had to carry him in (after he'd thrown his fishy down on the ground... poor thing.) So while he whined at the door (and Jesslyn whined in the highchair... she was hungry!) I followed the directions and filled the bowl about 2/3's of the way up with tap water, added some gravel, let the fish acclimate and then plopped the fish in!
By then, Jeremiah was happy, eating his lunch, watching his fish, and life was good. After all that excitement, though, it was naptime, so we said goodnight to the fish and both kiddies went down for their naps.
I went back downstairs to put Jesslyn's bottle in the fridge, and glanced at the bowl. "Huh..." I said, "Where's the fish?" Upon closer inspection, I spotted him hovering near the bottom of the bowl... on his side. Yes, this fish was dead. Dead, dead, dead. Not even fighting for his life, just dead.
Sigh... I scooped him up, and walked him to the bathroom. When Jeremiah woke up, I told him the fishy ran away, and that we would get him a new one in a couple of days... one that won't run away... hopefully.
In the meantime, the bowl sits fish-less, while we allow the chlorine [a silent, but deadly killer...] to work its way out of the water.



I think I know what you missed(as you did not mention this step in your post so, I assumed you forgot to add this 'ingrediant'. ;]) and it's a vital step: you have to buy the bottle of liquid(I forget the actual name of the stuff but it's usually right there in the same area as the fish food and whatnot) that makes the water safe for the fish. You add a few drops to the bowl then put the bag with the fish in it..let it acclimate then set it free into the bowl.
ReplyDeleteOtherwise, you get dead fish. :)
Or it could be the fact that goldfish really aren't as hearty as everyone tells you. Try a Beta fish or even a Molly, they are quite ressiliant little buggers(Jake had a Beta that lived for almost 2 years and thats with water changes and complete bowl cleanings). And at least Betas/Mollies come in fancy colors and are far more attractive to a tot.
Just some advice. :)
I think it was just the chlorine. Had I used bottled water (thought we had some in the garage) I think he'd have been fine. I figured, "What the heck," and gave it a shot. Too bad for the fishy I was wrong.
ReplyDeleteWe'll get another, probably tomorrow, and see what happens. Like I said, it was only $.12 so if it dies again, we'll try a beta (they are pretty fish!)
Heh, yeah. .12 cents is pocket change. I wasn't talking so much about the money just that goldfish aren't that hearty which is why they are 12 cents. You pay for what you get..basically. Lol..kind of a negative way to put it I guess but, just trying to throw some suggestions out there.
ReplyDeleteYeah, giving it another go is a good idea..test it out see what happens. It works, it works, it doesn't..you get the Beta. Lol. :]
Wait until you see the colors they have for Betas, they have: reds, blues, oranges, yellows, purples,..basically every color of the rainbow. And they even, white which is really rare.
(but..you probably knew that and so..I will just go). ;]