Wednesday, August 13, 2008

No baby yet.

I know, we've only been full term a couple of days. I wasn't expecting a baby by now--maybe hoping, but not expecting. But I have to preface our posts with that now, since I know there are people who will see a new post and automatically assume that it means baby time! I can't even call my Mom anymore without her asking, "What's happening?!" as soon as she answers. Oi... it's going to be a long three weeks. :)

And wouldn't ya know it, now that we're full term, no action, whatsoever! Aside from the "contractions" I kept waking up to Sunday night (we still weren't 'technically' full term at the time... well, I guess we kinda were, but not really... anyways,) nothing's been going on. Even the braxton hicks have backed off! What gives?! And before, I couldn't carry a load of laundry without cramping up, and today, we walked to the park, and nothing! I haven't been able to walk to the park in a month, because I would get so achy and crampy! I don't know if it's that my body is just "getting used to being pregnant" and that's why it's been so "quiet" or if it's the calm before the storm... Only time will tell! I just find it odd that I've been miserably uncomfortable the past couple of months, and now when it's expected, it's almost non-existent (comparitively speaking... maybe I'm the one getting used to it...)

I guess that's good. I've been blah long enough. Might as well enjoy the time I have left--I do feel much less stressed about it, now that she can come anytime. Before, there was always that worry that she would want to come early, which would mean going to the hospital. But now, she's safe whenever she's ready! So I can focus on other things rather than "why did that hurt? what did that mean?" etc, etc.

There has been a little hiccup that I'm really irritated about... One of my tests came back "positive" which now means I'll have to have an IV during labor and delivery, so I can have antibiotics. BOOOO!!!!! Part of the whole reason I wanted to have a homebirth (back when we decided to go that route with Jeremiah) was because I didn't want to have a needle stuck in my hand the whole time! So much for that. It's not like I'll be stuck to the whole thing, though. They'll put it in, and get the antibiotics going for the first 20 minutes, and then that's it until 4 hours later (never made it that long with Jeremiah.) But still... I've had an IV in before, and it's no fun! I know all the other Moms who had hospital births are probably thinkin', "Oh please, suck it up." :) Yeah, I know, I'm being a baby about it, but what can I say... You have this vision of what your birth is going to be like (in my case, I imagine it will be very similar to Jeremiah's) and then someone throws a wrench in your plans... Yeah, if I were in a hospital, it wouldn't be a big deal--that's just the way they do things. But because IV's aren't normally part of the homebirth procedure (since we get to eat and drink as we please, and there are no 'drugs' for them to administer [other than antibiotics, at least.... grrr...]) it's just a bummer for me. But I'll deal! I'll suck it up, and try to not let it bother me. Grrr.... still stinks.

And that's about it. I don't plan on talking about this stuff everytime I post. But I thought I'd throw that out there about feeling better, since I know my last few posts have been less than chipper". I'm looking forward to it, but am definitely more relaxed than I was last week.

Pray for a Thursday or Saturday delivery! :) The midwife we had with Jeremiah, Marsha, is on call those two days... We'd love to get her again (though the first two were both Sunday births, which would mean someone else, mostly the couple of midwives I care the least for, but what're ya gonna do...) so when I have to make the call, I'll be praying like last time, "Please let it be Marsha or Erin!" [Erin's now gone, unfortunately, and her replacement, whom I do like a lot, isn't doing any births yet while she gets acclimated to the BirthCare climate...] and lo and behold, it was Marsha! Woot! We'll see if we get that lucky again this time... I'm sure it'll be fine whomever we end up with.

And that's about it. I should get to my "Master To-Do List B.B. (before baby)." It's a bunch of little things that I'd like to get done before Jess Jr makes her grand entrance (a few "musts" like setting up the spa [ahhh... that sounds so nice right now...] and washing the last of her clothes [mostly because the sheets for our pack and play are in there, and that's where she'll be sleeping during her first few weeks/month or so.]) Some of it's fun stuff--I'm trying to get Jeremy to "reserve" our sitter for the next three Fridays, so we can have "date nights". Not planning on doing anything big and long. Just want to get outta the house, sans Jeremiah, a couple more times before it becomes far more difficult to do. And it'll give me something to look forward to all week... help get me through the daily grind of still being preggers. :) We may have to up it to twice a week if we make it to 40 weeks, though... I don't think we will, but I kept saying that about Jeremiah, too and look what happened there.... Yeah....

Okay, so let's see... laundry, diapers, naptime. Sounds like a good way to spend the rest of my "lunch break" (Jeremiah's naptime. :) Well, minus the first two. :) It's gotta get done, though! Off I go.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:49 PM

    wait....aren't contractions..a sure sign the baby is coming or will be....soon? Unless, they are..false labor ones? I know I don't sound stupid here...or do I? -blinks. perhaps needs to take health 101 again-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:51 PM

    Well, yes and no. There are braxton hicks, which are contractions that are painless (and pretty much practice only,) and then there are "cramps" that feel like "contractions". So I just call 'em contractions (they're uncomfortable enough to get my attention, and they're in the "right spot"... If they were ever to continue for an extended period of time, I might have been tempted to call the midwives. But they never did.)

    I don't know if that made it any clearer... :) Might have just made it more confusing. I'll put it this way--if I were a certain other friend of mine, I would be telling everyone I've been in early labor for weeks now. :) But I know I haven't been. Stuff is starting to happen, though... we'll see....!

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers