Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Feeling better!

We took Jeremiah to the pediatrician today to check up on his weight--wanted to make sure he was getting enough to eat (he's a big baby... we've had to supplement a bit to make him full, but hopefully we'll be able to cut back on that as my milk comes in.) And the report was good--he's up to 9lbs 13oz, a half pound gain in 6 days! That's pretty good. So we don't have to go back now until his one month visit, which will be the beginning of February. Everything else is looking really good, which was a huge relief. Not that I expected there to be any problems, but y'know, as a Mom (so weird...) I worry (not too much, though.)

I told him of my frustrations with having to supplement with so much formula, and he simply said, "He's a 10 lb baby! The average baby is 7 lbs 10 oz, Jeremiah is the equivalent of a one-month old--you can't expect to have enough milk at this point to satisfy him!" While I'm sure there are women out there who have done it (my MIL nursed twins successfully, after all!), it's just not happening yet with me. So for now I pump and hope that soon I won't need to anymore. I'm gonna talk to our midwife about it, too, on Thursday at my appointment, and hope she has some good suggestions for me.

Otherwise, all is well with us! I tried getting some more cute shots to put on the blog, but Jeremiah wasn't feeling very photogenic. Oh well. Perhaps tomorrow. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:59 AM

    Hey Jess, I wrote you a comment the other day, but I see it never submitted. I had said to hang in there little mama. It sounds as though you have tapped all your resources and they are all working with you. I also wanted to tell you that my neighbor (new mommy too) had phoned the La Leche people and they were very informative and understanding. Anyways, hope things continue to improve and you are in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:07 AM

    Hi Jess,
    Catching up on your blog before heading off to school... It's true I successfully nursed twins but remember what I said in my email to encourage you: don't be afraid to supplement with formula at the beginning. Be realistic. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're doing great! And you're a terrific mother.
    Love & prayers,
    Charity

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers